With a focus on collaboration, connection, discovery and fun, BC students will embark on a 4-week science journey in March 2021! Students (Grades 1–6) from across BC will have the opportunity to explore how to use their creativity and imagination to help the world.
- Division 1 (Grades 1–3) activities will be held from 10:00 AM–12:00 PM each Saturday in March
- Division 2 (Grades 4–6) activities will be held from 1:00 PM–3:00 PM each Saturday in March
Through fun, interactive activities and weekly challenges, a collective pod of students will experience aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through the eyes of their engineer or geoscience mentors. Diving deep into the world of innovation, participants will connect with other like-minded students and work together online to create their own solutions to the weekly challenges.
New this year are our “Meet an Expert” sessions. These sessions will provide Science Games participants in classrooms and beyond with the opportunity to meet industry professionals in different disciplines of engineering and geoscience. Each expert will host a Q&A session and talk about what they do as an engineer or geoscientist.
A few things to note about our 2021 Science Games Registration:
- Science Games registration will be done by an individual basis. Participants will be arranged in groups of 5–6 students by division. Divisions are broken up into two groups: Division 1 (Grades 1–3) and Division 2 (Grades 4–6).
- Science Games event fee is $20 per individual for the 4-week event (March 6, 13, 20, 27, 2021).
- Students can provide a suggested list of friends they’d like to be a in a group with, but group arrangements are not guaranteed.
- A device (laptop, tablet, computer, etc.) is required to connect and participate in the live group sessions.
- Registration for the 2021 Science Games is a 2-step process. The first step is filling out a Participation Form. Everyone who submits a Participation Form will receive an email confirming whether their registration was successful or if they’ve been waitlisted. Successful participants will be sent a link to complete their registration.
- Participants will have 48 hours after they receive the email to finalize their registration before their space is offered to someone on the waitlist.
Start Your Science Games Registration
What to do on the Waitlist?
If you get placed on the Science Games waitlist, you will be contacted as space becomes available. Capacity for this event may increase as we secure more volunteers to participate as Mentors.
At Science Games, students from Grades 1–6 across BC explore the principles and theories of science first-hand as a group led by their Engineer or Geoscientist mentors online. This interschool event is organized by the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC to celebrate all things science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and inspire future generations of engineers and geoscientists. We are the regulatory body for engineers and geoscientists practicing in BC.
Science Games aims to provide a fun, engaging environment where students are empowered to showcase their science talent, encouraged to explore their interests in science, and grow confident in their own scientific abilities. This interactive event hosted online through live sessions on Zoom gives students the chance to investigate the ways science affects their everyday lives.
Together, students will explore and dive deep into problem solving challenges that will illustrate the interesting and unique sides of scientific exploration and create their own original solutions to challenges crafted by a team of Engineers and Geoscientists.
Students will be sent an email with each week's theme, a list of suggested materials, and mini activities to prepare for the Saturday live session. All activities will use materials that easily accessible from home, school, or a local dollar store.
The live event sessions will be on March 6, 13, 20, 27, 2021.
Division 1 (Grades 1–3) live event sessions will be from 10 AM–12PM on Saturday.
Division 2 (Grades 4–6) live event sessions will be from 1 PM–3PM on Saturday.
If you have questions about the weekly Science Games challenges, please contact [email protected].
New to Science Games this year is the “Meet an Expert” Sessions, which will provide Science Games participants with the opportunity to meet industry professionals in different disciplines of engineering and geoscience. Each expert, a registrant of Engineers and Geoscientists BC, will host a Q&A session and demonstrate and talk about what they do as an engineer or geoscientist.
|Wednesday, March 17, 2021
||Sensors, Sorting, Geohazards, and Earth Science
|Wednesday, March 24, 2021
||Satellites and Where Goes My Flush?