Urban stormwater ponds have a long term cost and the potential to become amenities in communities. The planning and design processes are becoming increasingly complex and must include consider multiple use systems that are operated and maintained while providing recreational and educational opportunities to the community. This seminar will explore advanced topics of concern in the planning and design of modern stormwater management ponds in urban areas.
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Consider advanced technical issues in planning the design and management of multiple use facilities in an Durban setting
- Employ planning and design concepts learned in the course on your next stormwater pond project
This seminar is the third of a series that will cover the complex topic of stormwater management. The complete series includes:
- Introduction to Stormwater Management and Modelling (April 6 & 7, 2020)
- Advanced Stormwater Management (June 10, 2020)
- Design of Stormwater Ponds (September 22, 2020)
- Urban Watershed Management (November 5, 2020)
Due to the complex nature of the topic there will be limited review of material presented in the other seminars.
This seminar will build upon the participant’s knowledge of stormwater ponds. Sample calculations require the participant to bring a lap top computer with Excel or other spreadsheet software installed.
- Overview of pond components
- Step by Step Review of Pond Design
- Event based modelling versus continuous simulation
- Operation, Inspection and Maintenance
The course will provide detailed information on the standards of practice and their limitations along with alternative state of the art methodologies that can lead to more accurate application of scientific principles by engineers.
Consulting engineers, water resource planners, engineers employed by local, provincial, or federal government agencies. The information presented will be valuable to those in a position to plan, design, review, and approve detention pond plans and design submissions.
Water Infrastructure Specialist
Mr. Dumont's technical experience has been in the fields of civil engineering and water resources. His experience extends over 40 years in all phases of design and construction. Projects have included: municipal infrastructure, mitigation of urban impacts to the environment, hydrologic and hydraulic investigations, water quality assessment, land development, and construction.
Jim has been providing training seminars on stormwater management in BC for Engineers and Geoscientists BC since 2006 and for across Canada EPIC Technologies since 2010.