By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Apply analytical tools to conduct database analytics;
- Create data visualization;
- Describe data analytics and its importance;
- Interpret descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics; and
- Develop dashboards to communicate insight (tell a story).
These workshops are designed for engineers, geoscientists, and managers who strive to take advantage of the available data in their organizations, using analytics tools and techniques, to gain insight into their respective projects/operations.
- Microsoft Excel
- Mac users need to install Parallels (Please visit the Parallels website for instructions)
Note: Bootcamp can be installed on older Mac computers (Bootcamp requires Intel processor, which was changed in 2020). You can find the instructions to download Bootcamp on Apple's website.
After completing the workshop, you can:
- Translate data into meaningful information (i.e., summarize and process data) to provide insight into correlations, patterns, and trends in data to enable informed decisions making.
- Describe descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics.
- Extract, manipulate, and visualize data using Microsoft Excel.
- Create dashboard (Storytelling with Data Visualization)
Haideh Farahmand, P.Eng. (Registered in Alberta)
Instructor, Chiu School of Business at Bow Valley College
Haideh Farahmand has more than 20 years of experience in academia and industry. Haideh teaches data analytics, project management, organizational behavior, supply chain management, and business strategy. Haideh has worked as a manager for integration, operational excellence at Suncor Energy. She also has worked in various project management roles at Petro-Canada and Fluor Canada. Haideh was assigned an additional role at Suncor Energy as the program manager for the engineers-in-training (EIT) program and served as a member of Suncor’s talent council. Haideh was a finalist in Suncor Energy’s President Operational Excellence award in 2012 and 2013 in recognition of her contributions to the improvement of the EIT program and the development of the enterprise gap closure plan. Haideh holds M.Sc. in project management and is currently pursuing a doctorate in business administration.