Non-practising status enables registrants who are not currently practising engineering or geoscience to remain registrants with the organization and retain certain registration rights. There is no limit to the period of time that a registrant can be on non-practising status. Non-practising status does not convey any practice rights. Non-practising registrants must not engage in reserved practice and have no greater right to engage in the practice of professional engineering or geoscience than any other member of the general public.
Non-practising registrants (including vested Life Members):
- Must make an annual declaration committing not to engage in the reserved practice of professional engineering or geoscience in British Columbia, including unpaid or volunteer work;
- May only represent themselves by use of their professional designation followed by the words “Non-Practising” or “Retired” (see below); and
- Retain the right to vote and may participate on certain non-technical Engineers and Geoscientists BC boards, statutory committees, or advisory groups.
Non-practising registrants who intend to practise professional engineering or professional geoscience must apply for resumption of practising status to the Credentials Committee, pay any applicable fees, comply with any requirements for return to practice, and not practise professional engineering or professional geoscience until practising status has been granted by the Credentials Committee.
Requirements for resumption of practising status vary depending on the length of time that a non-practising registrant has not engaged in reserved practice. Please refer to Resuming Practice Rights for more information.
Non-practising registrants may only represent themselves with a professional designation that is followed by a qualifier and must make an annual declaration during the renewal period. Non-practising registrants must use one of the following qualifiers:
- P.Eng. (Non-Practising), P.Geo. (Non-Practising), P.L.Eng. (Non-Practising), or P.L.Geo. (Non-Practising); or
- P.Eng. (Retired), P.Geo. (Retired), P.L.Eng. (Retired), or P.L.Geo. (Retired).
Non-practising fees are 50% of the full registration fee and may not be further reduced. They may be waived due to a medical condition that renders the registrant unable to work.
A registrant who changes to non-practising status during the calendar year after paying full registration fees for practising status will not receive a rebate or credit.
For further guidance on registering for non-practising status, please refer to the Guideline & FAQ For Non-Practising Status.
To request waiver of annual fees due to a medical condition, please complete the online application form.
For current Life Members please refer to the Life Member Info Update and Non-Practising Status Declaration Form.
To apply for non-practising status, registrants can log onto their account and navigate to “Apply for Non-Practising Status”.
Registrants can also change their status by contacting the Registration Department by email at [email protected].