Engineers and Geoscientists BC

Registration FAQs

Please note that you should refer to the Registration section of the website for more details regarding our registration-related processes. The information below is correct at the time of publication.

We have complied a list of frequently asked questions about the registration of individuals in British Columbia. If you cannot find the answer to your question, you can also contact our staff at [email protected].

If you are looking for information relating to the regulation of firms, please visit the Firm Registrants section of the website or email [email protected].

Applying for Registration

  • 1. I am registered with another Canadian engineering/geoscience body, how do I become registered with Engineers and Geoscientists BC?

    Being a current registrant with another Canadian association/ordre allows you to register more easily with Engineers and Geoscientists BC. Becoming a registrant with Engineers and Geoscientists BC does not affect your status with another Canadian association/ordre.

    Note that all applicants are required to disclose current and prior applications, designations, and memberships with other Canadian associations/ordres. Failure to disclose this information may be construed as a character issue. Engineers and Geoscientists BC may confirm an applicant’s previous application and registration status with any Canadian association/ordre.

    If you currently have an active application with another Canadian association/ordre, it is recommended that you either complete that application or withdraw it prior to applying to Engineers and Geoscientists BC.

    More information and links to our online application can be found on our website.

  • 2. I am not sure whether to register as a trainee first or apply for professional registration directly. What are my options?

    If you have a minimum of 4 years of professional engineering or professional geoscience work experience, you should apply directly for professional registration (P.Eng. or P.Geo.). It is not a requirement that you first apply as a trainee (EIT or GIT).

    If you apply for professional registration, you will need to meet the academic, experience, and law and ethics requirements before you are registered. If you apply for trainee status, you will be registered once you meet the academic requirements.

    If you are an engineering applicant with a non-accredited degree and at least 5 years of professional engineering work experience, or a geoscience applicant with at least 7 years of professional geoscience work experience, we suggest that you apply directly for professional registration to have your experience considered for a potential reduction or waiver of academic examinations.

    To learn more about registering as a trainee (EIT or GIT) status, please visit our website.

    Visit our Professional Registration page for more information about applying for professional registration (P.Eng., P.Geo., P.L.Eng. and P.L.Geo.).

  • 3. Which documents do you accept as proof of identity and how do I get them certified?

    Certified* copies of 2 pieces of government-issued identification (ID) for registration. Both pieces of ID must contain the applicant’s full legal name, must be valid (i.e., not expired) at the time of registration, and at least one piece of ID must contain your photo. For more guidance on acceptable forms of IDs, please review the Guideline on Certified Identification Documents. Applicants are required to upload as 1 document through their application dashboard.

    *To have your document certified, the copies of both your original IDs must be signed, dated, and stamped by an acceptable certifying official. Please refer to the Guideline on Certified Identification Documents for a list of acceptable certifying officials and the steps for ID certification.

  • 4. My postgraduate degree is in a different discipline than my undergraduate degree, and/or I am practising in a discipline that is different than my undergraduate/EIT discipline. Which discipline should I apply in?

    If you are applying to register as an engineer-in-training (EIT), we recommend that you apply in the discipline that most closely matches with your undergraduate engineering degree. Refer to the engineering syllabi topics specific to each discipline on our Engineering Syllabus webpage for guidance on selecting the most suitable discipline.

    If you are applying to register as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) and your experience is in a discipline that is different than your undergraduate discipline or the discipline of your EIT enrollment, you should apply in the discipline in which you have gained your experience. Depending on the result of your competency experience assessment, you may be subject to further academic review.

Academic Requirements

Experience Requirements

Canadian Environment Experience

  • 1. What are the Canadian Environment Competencies?

    The Canadian Environment Competencies are a subset of 8 competencies that have been identified from the existing 34 competencies of the competency framework that best demonstrate knowledge and experience of Canadian regulations, codes, standards, quality control, safety awareness, professional accountability, and communication. The intent is to align the assessment method of the Canadian Environment Competency requirement with the online Competency Assessment System and to provide better definition and objectivity.

  • 2. I do not have work experience in Canada. Can I still submit my competency report with international examples for the Canadian Environment Competencies?

    Yes, you can apply for registration before you have any experience working in Canada and you may use international examples (if needed) for your competencies, including the Canadian Environment Competencies. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide sufficient examples to establish equivalency, though using international experience does not guarantee the competencies will be met. You should ensure that you elaborate on how your international experience could be considered equivalent to Canadian experience.

    Detailed guidance can be found on the Guide to Canadian Environment Competencies on

  • 3. Does the Working in Canada Seminar replace Canadian environment experience?

    The Working in Canada Seminar is not meant to replace work experience or the Canadian Environment Competencies; it is intended to be a supplemental option for applicants who lack direct experience in a Canadian workplace (or equivalent) but have demonstrated strong knowledge and abilities in all competency areas. Access to the Working in Canada Seminar is only provided if it is recommended after an assessment has been completed.

  • 4. What happens if I do not meet the minimum levels to satisfy the Canadian Environment Competencies?

    You may be re-assigned the specific Canadian Environment Competencies until you have met the minimum level required. To be registered as a professional registrant, all competency requirements, including the 8 Canadian Environment Competencies, must be satisfied.

Experience Interviews

  • 1. How do I arrange an experience interview?

    Interviews are granted at the discretion of the Credentials Committee. You will be contacted by staff to make the arrangements if an interview has been recommended for you.

  • 2. When will my interview occur?

    The interview panelists are practising professionals who volunteer their time. The interviews are scheduled during working hours and when interviewers are available. It typically takes 2–6 months to arrange an interview.

  • 3. What should I bring to the interview?

    If you are invited to an interview, you should be prepared to present an example of your work that clearly demonstrates your experience and how you have applied your knowledge to solve a technical problem. You should also be prepared to answer technical questions about any of the projects you have mentioned in your competency report.

Examinations and Seminars

  • 1. When are academic examinations taking place?

    Academic examinations take place twice a year. The examination sessions are held in the spring/summer (May to July) and Fall (October to December). An examination schedule is released 2 months before the start of the examination period. Registered examination candidates will be notified by email when the schedule has been posted. For the latest information, please refer to the Status of Online Academic Exams page.

    Note that all academic examinations are held online and proctored virtually. For more information, please see the Candidate Guide for Online Examinations. Note that the Candidate Guide is subject to change. Candidates should ensure that they have reviewed the most recent version of the Guide before sitting any scheduled examinations.

  • 2. When will academic examination results be available?

    For BC examination candidates, results will be posted on your Application Status page and a notification email will be sent when your mark has been updated. Engineers and Geoscientists BC aims to provide marks before the next registration deadline so that you can register again if needed. If marks are provided to you after the deadline to register and you need to write your examination again, you may still be eligible to register for the next examination session. To do this, please contact [email protected] immediately after receiving your mark.

    For candidates applying with other provinces, please check with your jurisdiction’s examination department for updates on your results.

  • 3. Can I defer my academic examination?

    For BC candidates, you may have the option to defer before a specified timeframe. Refer to the Academic Exam Deferrals information for details. If eligible to defer, please defer your examination(s) online through your Engineers and Geoscientists BC account.

    For candidates applying with other provinces/territories, please check with your jurisdiction’s examination department for their examination deferral policies and procedures.

  • 4. I registered for the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE) through Engineers and Geoscientists BC. Is my seat in the session guaranteed?

    Your examination seat is not secured until you book your examination proctoring session with Meazure Learning within the designated booking window. Closer to the examination session you will be sent an email from Meazure Learning with instructions on how to book your date and time for the examination (based on availability). It is important to check your junk email folder to ensure that the email is not accidentally filed there. Should you not receive an email with this confirmation information at least 4 weeks prior to the examination date, you should contact Meazure Learning immediately and request that an examination granted email be re-sent to you: [email protected].

  • 5. I missed the registration deadline for the upcoming National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE) session by only a few days, but I need to complete the examination as soon as possible. Am I still able to register for the examination after the deadline has passed?

    Unfortunately, Engineers and Geoscientists BC is not able to accept any examination registration requests after the registration deadline has passed. We coordinate the NPPE with several third-party service providers who establish requirements and deadlines.

    The NPPE session dates and associated deadlines are posted on our website 1 year in advance. It is every examination candidate’s responsibility to be aware of the examination dates and register prior to the examination deadline. Please refer to our upcoming exam dates for other upcoming NPPE sessions.

  • 6. When will my National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE) examination results be published?

    The results of the examination are released through the Application Status portal approximately 3–4 weeks after the examination date. Results will be released by Engineers and Geoscientists BC prior to the next examination application deadline.

  • 7. How can I defer my National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)?

    Before the registration deadline, you will be able to defer your examination at any time prior to the registration deadline of each examination session. To defer your examination please follow these steps:

    1. Visit the Engineers and Geoscientists BC website – Professional Practice Examinations.
    2. Click “Apply Online” (blue button on the top of the page).
    3. Follow the link “Change Your Upcoming Examination Session”.
    4. Select the examination you wish to defer by ticking the box of the appropriate examination session. Select the session you wish to change your examination to.
    5. Click “Continue”.

    After the registration deadline: If you do not book your proctoring session with Meazure Learning within the designated booking window, we will automatically defer your examination to the next available examination session at no cost. After the examination session has ended, you will receive an email from Engineers and Geoscientists BC confirming your examination deferral. Please ensure you are not responding to any booking emails received from Meazure Learning after the registration deadline.

  • 8. I booked my proctoring session for the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE) with Meazure Learning but can no longer attend the examination. Can I cancel my examination?

    After booking your proctoring session with Meazure Learning you may no longer cancel or defer your examination. Since Engineers and Geoscientists BC works with third-party service providers, we are required to provide ample time for any changes to the examination schedule. By booking your proctoring session with Meazure Learning, you have secured your seat and a proctor has been retained for your examination. This booking is non-refundable since all the coordination has already taken place and your seat has been reserved.

  • 9. Will the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE) cover topics concerning the Professional Governance Act?

    Although the study material may still reference the former legislation, the Engineers and Geoscientists Act, this is a national examination taken by candidates across Canada applying for professional registration in various provincial and territorial jurisdictions. The examination content is focused on common shared themes across all our various acts and regulatory processes. Our transition to the Professional Governance Act should not affect the content of the examination.

  • 10. I encountered technical issues during the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE). Who should I contact?

    If technical issues occur while trying to connect to your examination or during your examination, you must contact Meazure Learning as soon as possible. Their contact information will be in your booking confirmation email, and it is best to call them for an immediate response. Rescheduling due to technical issues may be possible within the same exam session, however it is not guaranteed. Please note that additional charges may be required for exam rescheduling.

  • 11. Where can I find study materials for my upcoming National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)?

    The examination blueprint outlining the content areas that are covered on the examination can be found on the APEGA website. The blueprint is a guide to help applicants determine what information they need to know and what to bring to the examination to demonstrate their knowledge of the material. Although there are recommended study materials that are listed on our Engineers and Geoscientists BC website, applicants can gain mastery of the topics covered on the examination any way that works best for them.

    Please note that Engineers and Geoscientists BC no longer sells study kit textbook bundles. You can buy study textbooks via Amazon, Chapters, directly from the supplier, or second hand. There may also be copies available for borrowing at your local library.

  • 12. I have completed/will be completing the Professional Engineering and Geoscience Practice in BC Online Seminar. Am I still required to complete the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)?

    Yes, the NPPE and the Professional Engineering and Geoscience Practice in BC Online Seminar are separate requirements to be completed to obtain your professional registration. Please note that completing the online seminar will not automatically register you to write the NPPE; you will need to register to write the examination via our webpage. Although the Professional Engineering and Geoscience Practice in BC Online Seminar may be helpful in preparing for the examination, it is not meant to replace the recommended study materials.

  • 13. Which version of the Professional Engineering and Geoscience Practice in BC Online Seminar am I required to complete?

    Applicants and trainees who completed the previous version of the online seminar (version 1) prior to July 26, 2021, when version 2 was released should take note of the following transition provisions that were approved by the Board.

    • Applicants and trainees who were not granted registration as a professional registrant before July 1, 2022, are required to complete version 2 of the online seminar prior to registration being granted. Version 2 will be provided at no cost to those who previously purchased Version 1 of the seminar or the Law and Ethics Seminar/CD Set.
    • Version 1 of the seminar was accepted as meeting the seminar requirement for registration as a professional registrant until July 1, 2022. If they wish, applicants and trainees in this category can obtain free access to version 2 of the seminar for voluntary viewing.

Status Changes

Fees and Refunds

  • 1. When I applied for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists BC, I paid an application fee. Did that fee include the annual fee for the year?

    The annual fee is not included in your application fee. Engineers and Geoscientists BC registration runs on the calendar year and your annual registration is pro-rated to the month of registration. 

    Those registered as a first-time P.Eng., P.L.Eng., P.Geo., or P.L.Geo. with Engineers and Geoscientists BC will also be invoiced for a one-time registration/licensing fee. This one-time fee covers costs for your seal and certificate, as well as an award ceremony that new registrants may opt to attend.

    Complete fee information is available in our Fee Schedule

  • 2. I will not be completing my application, can I get a refund of my application fee?

    Application fees are non-refundable. However, a full or partial refund may be considered if:

    • The fee is not refunded it will cause undue financial hardship on the applicant; or
    • There are extenuating circumstances beyond the applicant’s control that warrant a refund.

    To apply for a refund, submit a written request to [email protected] with your reasons for the refund. Engineers and Geoscientists BC may approve or deny the request, and the applicant will be notified of a decision within 30 days.

    For Reconsideration of a Decision and Review on the Record, an automatic refund is provided for successful appeals if the review results in full relief of the original decision and is based only on the information that was originally provided. A refund request does not need to be submitted.

  • 3. I just got registered. How do I pay my fees?

    In the registrant portal, select “Account” and then “Pay Your Fees” from the options on the left side of the page. If you do not find an invoice for your fees within 1–2 weeks, please contact the Accounting Department at [email protected].

Accredited Employer Program

  • 1. What is the Accredited Employer Program?

    The Accredited Employer Program helps employers attract and retain high calibre talent and streamlines the processing and evaluation of applicants seeking professional registration. Under the program, engineering and geoscience companies work with Engineers and Geoscientists BC to offer work environments that ensure their trainees can satisfy the experience requirements when applying for their professional registration.

    Employers develop their own training programs and apply to Engineers and Geoscientists BC to become accredited. They are responsible for identifying which of their trainees will participate in the program. Trainees who wish to be considered for the program must work for an accredited company and enroll through their employer.

    For program details, the online application form, and the list of current accredited employer partners, visit our website, or send an email to [email protected].