STEM Leaders of the Future
Celebrate all things science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) by taking part in our STEM Leaders of the Future: Engineering and Geoscience contest!
In 2020, we are celebrating 100 years of ethics, excellence, and progress. We are looking back at our proud history of safety, innovation, and building British Columbia, and looking forward to our vibrant future. With the STEM Leaders of the Future contest, we hope to inspire future generations of engineers and geoscientists.
As one of our future leaders, you can pave the way for some really cool inventions in STEM! We want to see what you can do today to help make the world a safer place for tomorrow. Check out the list of challenges and choose one that is most interesting to you. Then, using items you can find around the house, create something brand new that solves one of today’s big issues.
- Choose a challenge (1) and explore related links
- Design a project that helps to solve the highlighted problem and start building an invention with items you can find around your house. A great project is more than an idea - it is clever, original, and inventive.
- Create a 1 to 2-minute video response (or take a series of photos) that show us how your invention will improve lives for the future and helps solves the issue you have chosen.
- Write a short (500 words max.) description of your invention, how it works, and why you chose this challenge.
- *Complete the entry form and the parental legal form with help from a parent or guardian.
- Send us your completed entry between September 8 – October 30, 2020 to [email protected].
*Entry and Parental legal forms will be available online in September.
- Judging Criteria: Judges will score each submission based on this criteria.
- FAQs: Find answers to our most commonly asked questions.
- Entries are limited to students in Grades 1–12 who attend a school or participate in a home school program based in BC.
- Inventions must be submitted as individual projects and cannot be completed by a team.
- Inventions must be complete with a video (or series of photos) showing how it works, with a verbal and written explanation of how it solves one of the challenges.
- The demonstration video must be between 1–2 minutes long.
- The written description of the invention, how it solves the challenge, and why you chose this challenge must be a maximum of 500 words.
- Entries must include a completed registration form and a parental legal form to qualify.
- All submissions must be sent to [email protected] between September 8–October 30, 2020.
- Children of Engineers and Geoscience employees or current Council members are eligible to participate in the STEM Leaders of the Future Contest, but cannot qualify for a final prize.
Have any questions? Please email [email protected]
Prizes will be awarded to the top entries in the following grade groups: Grades 1–3, Grades 4–6, Grades 7–9, and Grades 10–12.
Helpful tips and resources for getting started.
- Challenge Topics: Thought-starters to help you identify a problem and think about a creative solution.
- Project Submission Tips: Wondering what it takes to make a great project submission that is clever, original, and inventive? Here’s some tips to help get started.
- Submission Checklist: Use this checklist to double-check that you’ve got all the required pieces and have followed the guidelines.