The 2021 Division bursary application period is now open; we are pleased to once again offer two bursaries of $2,000 each. Please see the bursary notice
for full details. The deadline for applications is May 7, 2021
The Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division offers an annual bursary intended to provide financial assistance to students pursuing an accredited post-secondary or post-graduate program related directly to professional engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector.
The purpose of the Division to help members provide exceptional professional engineering and professional geoscience services in support of sustainable, land-based resource development activities, as distinct from manufacturing and processing activities, while advancing work place safety and protection of the public interest, and the environment. Division members possess engineering and/or geoscience expertise that includes but is not limited to, the mapping and assessment of terrain and related geological hazards, hazard and risk analysis, hydrological analysis, and planning and design for access development and management.
In keeping with our mission statement, the bursary is a means to:
- Promote education, professional development, and high standards of practice of engineering and geoscience related to resource sector activities,
- Promote awareness of specialized knowledge and training required by professional engineers and professional geoscientists working in the resource sector, and
- Promote public awareness of the role of professional engineers and professional geoscientists in the resource sector.
- Applicants must be enrolled in at least the third year of an undergraduate program, or any year of a post-graduate program, at a degree-granting institute in BC.
- The applicant's studies must relate to the practice of engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector (e.g., forestry, mining, resource extraction, natural hazards) of British Columbia.
- The applicant’s studies must prepare them for present or future enrolment for membership with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (i.e., as an EIT, GIT, P.Eng., P.Geo., or licensee).
All applicants shall submit the following:
- A cover letter describing the applicant's area of study and career goals. The letter should include a contact address, phone number(s), and email address.
- A proof of enrollment letter and an accompanying list of current courses and/or program of study.
- An original essay in PDF format, approximately 5 pages long at a maximum of 1.5 line spacing, including figures and diagrams (literature cited section not included in the 5-page limit), on any topic related to engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector of British Columbia.
The deadline for receipt of applications is May 7, 2021.
Submissions should be emailed to the Division’s Bursary Coordinator
Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division Bursary Sub-Committee
c/o Engineers and Geoscientists BC
200–4010 Regent Street
Burnaby, BC, V5C 6N2
The Bursary Sub-committee will evaluate submissions based on the following criteria:
- The applicant must be in a relevant field of study for engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector (e.g. forestry, mining, resource extraction, natural hazards).
- The applicant's career goals must be relevant to the Division mission and objectives.
- The submitted essay, which shall be reviewed for how it addresses one or more of the mission and/or objectives of the Division, and the essay's organization, clarity, and quality of references.
Two bursaries, in the amount of $2,000 each, will be awarded to the successful student by approximately mid-August 2020. The Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector Division reserves the right not to award the bursary if a suitable candidate is not found. A successful applicant from the immediately preceding year will not be considered.
Prior to award, the selected candidate shall provide confirmation of current registration in an accredited school to the Bursary Sub-Committee.
↰ Back to Division main page