The practices of engineering and geoscience are constantly evolving. Continuing education supports registrants in their efforts to stay current with changes, which is necessary for maintaining competency and fulfilling registrants primary duty to protect the public and the environment with respect to the practice of professional engineering and geoscience.
About the Continuing education program
- The Continuing Education (CE) Program is in effect as of July 1, 2021.
- The Professional Governance Act requires Engineers and Geoscientists BC to develop and implement a mandatory CE Program.
- Obligations under the CE Program are outlined in section 7.6 of the Engineers and Geoscientists BC Bylaws.
- The Guide to the Continuing Education Program provides a complete explanation of how the Program works.
Watch the video below for instructions on how to complete your Continuing Education requirements and submit your Annual Reporting, or download our printable PDF version.
2022 - 2023 Annual Requirements
Professional registrants are required to complete the following before June 30, 2023:
CE Plan templates and examples are available from our Resources page. When completing the CE declaration during Annual Reporting, practising registrants will be asked to verify their completed CE Plan. CE Plans are to be saved in your personal files for 10 years.
Are you newly licensed or reinstated? See section 3.1.4 of the Guide to the Continuing Education Program for a breakdown of your requirements.
Compliance is mandatory for all Professional Registrants with practice rights.
- See our CE Requirements webpage for more information about what is required.
- Those who do not meet CE obligations will be subject to late fees, suspension, and cancellation.
Registrants on a leave of absence (e.g., parental, medical, compassionate care), or experiencing other extenuating circumstances, may apply for an exemption to the CE Program requirements on a yearly basis. The deadline to apply is June 30.
Individuals Without Practice Rights
Individuals without practice rights are not required to complete CE Program requirements but have access to the CE Reporting System should they optionally choose to participate. This includes:
- Registrants with a Non-practising or Retired designation;
- Engineers-in-training and geoscientists-in-training; and
- Non-practising Life registrants.
All registrants who are registered by April 30 of the current reporting year, are required to complete Annual Reporting between May 1 and June 30. Non-practicing Life registrants are exempt from Annual Reporting.
For more information on the Continuing Education Program, visit the following pages:
Have a question about the Continuing Education Program? Contact [email protected] or leave a voicemail at 236.521.9154.