Engineers and Geoscientists BC
Please note that you will not be able to log into your online account on Monday, July 15, from 9 PM –11 PM due to routine website maintenance.

Apply to be a Professional Engineer in BC

This page describes how to apply for registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in BC. It applies to you if this is your first time applying for the P.Eng. designation in Canada.

You must meet the following eligibility criteria, which are described in detail below:

Learn about the criteria you need to meet to apply for your P.Eng. if you are already:

There are designations other than the P.Eng. that might apply to your situation, including:

Professional engineers who wish to be recognized on the International Professional Engineers and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Engineers Agreement Registers can learn more about this process on our National Registers - IPER/APEC EA page.

Apply for Registration

Check out our free webinar Path to Professional Licensure in the Knowledge Centre. This webinar outlines the application process for professional registration with particular focus on the specific academic and experience requirements that need to be fulfilled.

Academic Requirements

To apply for registration as a professional engineer, you must have graduated from a university-level bachelor degree program in applied science or engineering or a four-year, full-time post-secondary degree program in geoscience, science, or technology.

To meet our academic requirements, you may be required to complete academic examinations and/or an interview. We will let you know if this applies to you after we review your application and your validated competency assessment report.

Generally, you may not need to take academic examinations if one of the following applies:

  • Your engineering degree is from a university program accredited by Engineers Canada.
  • You have an engineering degree from another country recognized by an accreditation body that has a mutual recognition agreement with Engineers and Geoscientists BC, such as the:
  • You have an undergraduate engineering degree and a postgraduate engineering degree in the same discipline.
  • You have an undergraduate engineering degree and at least five years of work experience under the direct supervision of a professional registrant (or equivalent).

Experience Requirements

To register as a P.Eng., you must have a minimum of four years of satisfactory engineering work experience. This work experience must demonstrate both the application of theory in your discipline as well as practical experience. Your work experience should include the management, communication, and social implications of engineering.

We assess your work experience using a competency-based approach to assess your skills across seven key categories, including technical competence; communication; project and financial management; team effectiveness; professional accountability; social, economic, environmental and sustainability; and personal continuing professional development. To learn more, visit

You will share details of your work experience using the Competency Assessment System. Before you begin, review the Engineering Competency Assessment Guide. You will then:

  • Complete the Employment History section;
  • Complete the Competency Self-Assessment using examples from your work experience to show how you have achieved each key competency;
  • Include names of at least four validators who can confirm your work experience.

Canadian Environment Competencies

You must also show that you have experience that is equivalent to working in a Canadian environment. This experience may be gained in Canada or internationally and is assessed through eight competencies that demonstrate your knowledge and experience of Canadian regulations, codes, standards, quality control, safety awareness, professional accountability, and communication.

We will automatically assess your Canadian environment competencies when you complete your Competency Assessment.

Pre-Graduation Experience and Postgraduate Education

Up to a maximum of one year of pre-graduation or co-op experience may be counted towards your four years of work experience if it was supervised by an appropriate professional and if it satisfies the experience criteria detailed by Engineers and Geoscientists BC.

If you have a postgraduate degree, you may be given credit for engineering experience you acquired as part of your postgraduate studies.

Legal and Ethical Requirements

You can meet our legal and ethical requirements by:

If you are registered with Engineers Australia (C.P.Eng.), the Hong Kong Institute of Engineers (MHKIE), or Engineers Ireland (CEng MIEI), you do not need to complete the online seminar. However, you must write and pass the National Professional Practice Examination.

English Language Competency

We assess your English language competency by reviewing:

  • Your oral, written, and reading and comprehension skills in the communication category of the Competency Assessment;
  • The comments of your referees/validators; and
  • The comments of interviewers (if an interview is required).

We may ask you to submit the results of an approved English language test (IELTS, CAEL, or Duolingo English Test) after reviewing your submission to the competency assessment system. Do not register for an English language test or submit the results of a test unless we specifically ask you to.

See our guide on the Assessment of English Language Competence for more information.

Good Character Requirement

All applicants must show that they are of good character and good repute. Engineers and Geoscientists BC will review the information provided in your application to ensure you meet these standards. See Character Requirement and Hearings for more information.

How to Apply

Apply for your P.Eng. registration through our online portal.

Apply for Registration

Required Documents

You will need to provide the following documents to apply for your P.Eng.:

  • A completed online application
  • Certified copies of two pieces of government-issued identification (ID). Both pieces of ID must contain your full legal name and be valid (i.e., not expired) at the time of registration. At least one piece of ID must contain your photo. Please refer to the Guideline on Certified Identification Documents for a list of acceptable certifying officials and the steps for ID certification. Please upload the certified copies of the two pieces of ID as a single PDF on the application dashboard.
  • Official academic transcripts sent directly to Engineers and Geoscientists BC from your post-secondary institution(s). You can use our transcript request letter to ask the institution(s) to send your transcripts to us. If you are a US State Board licensed professional engineer (PE), you can submit an NCEES Record instead of submitting transcripts.
  • For graduates of non-accredited degree programs:
    • A completed Self-Evaluation Checklist for the engineering discipline you are applying to
    • A description of each course you completed that you are claiming on your Self-Evaluation Checklist
    • Thesis abstracts for master’s or PhD programs, if applicable
  • Confirmation of registration from other professional engineering regulators outside of Canada, if applicable


See our Fees page to see the current application fees and the fees associated with the required National Professional Practice Examination and Professional Engineering and Geoscience Practice in BC Online Seminar.

Application Review

We will review your application once we have received all of your required documents. Due to the volume of applications we receive, it may take approximately six months for us to review your application.

Check Your Application Status

If we approve your application, we will send you a notification email along with a seal and your certificate of registration.

Still have questions? View Registration FAQs.

For further inquiries, please contact us at [email protected] or 604.412.4856.