Accredited Employer Program
The Accredited Employer Program helps employers attract and retain high-calibre talent, and streamlines the processing and evaluation of applicants seeking professional registration. Under the program, engineering companies that employ engineers-in-training (EITs) work with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia to offer work environments that ensure EITs are able to satisfy the experience requirements when applying for their professional engineer (P.Eng.) designation.
Employers develop their own EIT training programs and apply to Engineers and Geoscientists BC to become accredited. They are responsible for identifying which of their EITs will participate in the program. Engineers-in-training who wish to be considered for the program must work for an accredited company and enroll through their employer.
At this time, the program is only available to EITs. Geoscientists-in-training (GITs) will be included when a competency-based assessment system has been implemented specifically for them.
The Accredited Employer Program is based upon the Competency Assessment System. Under the program:
- Employers develop their own EIT training program and apply to have it accredited by Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Participating EITs are registered on the employer’s recommendation, and their applications are expedited through the low-risk pathway towards professional registration, and
- Accreditation is valid for 3 years and is renewable.
As an employer involved in the program, you will be even better positioned to:
- Attract and retain high-calibre, well-trained EITs by supplementing your internal training program:
- Help your organization train its EIT employees more effectively and efficiently by aligning with our registration requirements, and help EITs employed by your organization develop into strong candidates for P.Eng. registration.
- Gain external recognition of your company’s training program.
- Build a stronger trainee program:
- As an accredited partner, you will be invited to the Accredited Employer Program Advisory Committee meetings to provide input on program improvements, and
- Access our dedicated support, guidance, and training on registration competencies.
As a participating employer–supervisor, you will:
- Gain increased knowledge of the required competencies.
- Foster environments for EIT applicants to gain the experience needed to meet the required registration competencies:
- By aligning competencies with performance review objectives, your organization will be better equipped for efficient and effective EIT work training.
- Receive specialized training and reference materials from Engineers and Geoscientists BC to help in the validation process of an EIT’s application for professional registration. In addition, receive personal assistance with any questions about the program from the association’s Accredited Employer Program administrators, and
- Qualify for Continuing Education (CE) hours for self-reporting.
As a participating EIT, you will:
- Receive enhanced guidance in gaining necessary competencies for registration:
- Your supervisors are trained by Engineers and Geoscientists BC and understand the requirements you need to become a successful applicant, and
- A dedicated Engineers and Geoscientists BC trainee program representative will be able to personally help you when you have questions about your application process.
- Experience expedited review and registration after 4 years of work experience, provided you have already passed the Professional Practice Exam (PPE) and have completed the Law and Ethic requirements set by Engineers and Geoscientists BC, and
- Become a strong candidate to qualify as a P.Eng.
To be eligible for the program, you must be working for the accredited employer for at least 2 years and must use the Competency Assessment System to record your work experience.
Employers can contact Leila Lagroix at [email protected] for an application form and information about eligibility requirements and accreditation.